I’m so happy to have found your blog! Your email address will not be published. Fiddle Leaf Fig brown spots caused from under watering generally happen because the plant is too dry. Even though I tried bottom watering and the plant is in a well draining container, I think the water is just getting saturated inside the ball and sitting. Hey Nadia, this post on encouraging growth should have some tips for you and answer a few of your questions! Follow Emily on Instagram (@dossierblog) to stay up to date! If you’ve identified root rot, prepare a well-draining soil mix for repotting. If you think your tree is getting too big for the pot, or if the drainage is inadequate – its time to re-pot! Should I repot it when it at destress like that? Although the plant hadn’t moved, it started to get some brown leaves (from the bottom) and a few fell off in rapid succession. Thankyou for all your info! Lack of light can also be a cause of brown spots, however this also contributes to overwatering issues. Often, these spots look like cracks or tears. It also can take a little while to figure out watering – be sure to water thoroughly only when the top 1-2″ feels dry to touch. Searched the web for a similar situation and was not able to find it. Similar to under watering, brown spots from dryness occur because of dry air. One day Filbert the Fiddle Leaf Fig became too tall. 3. Could I email you a picture of the flf leaves? I’d also make sure the plant is getting nutrients through a fertilizer, especially if it was in the same pot for a long time. Be sue to let the roots of your Fiddle Leaf Fig dry out slightly between waterings! Prune away moldy-looking branches in the spring. He’s sitting by a north facing window supplemented with a single grow light bulb. If the brown edges bother you, you can trim those parts off. . The leaves will often droop from lack of water. Sometimes its not possible to know exactly why things happen with plants but it is normal for past damage or browning to eventually turn into cracks and holes. Six Myths about Fiddle Leaf Fig Care Bright, Indirect Light – Myth. Hi Wanda, unfortunately plants can’t regrow leaves in the same spaces where they’ve been lost. Spots will form across the leaf, not necessarily at the edges or the base of the leaf as with root rot. Facebook: Fiddle Leaf Fig Plant Resource Group, Another Fiddle Leaf Fig Victory: Fiddle Leaf Fig Troubleshooting. "However, it is also known for its finicky properties." A post shared by Emily Connett (@dossierblog), more info on rootbound plants and repotting, 12 DIYs of Christmas: Coastal Napkin Rings, 12 DIYs of Christmas: Create a Faux Wood Fireplace, 12 DIYs of Christmas: Furoshiki Plant Gifts, A post shared by Emily Connett – Dossier Blog (@dossierblog). I’m worried about it spreading to my other healthy plants. As soon as I watered it, they perked back up but then I noticed the leaves are getting some crispy brown edges which I am sure is a sign of root rot. 3. Part of the trunk has already been covered by bark but now the rest has been turning dark brown with some spots appearing towards the top. Not sure if I should be doing something differently or this is all completely normal. The stops occur not just on the edges but also in the middle of the leaf. Should I trim the edges that have the brown spots or remove the whole leaf? Apart from that, the plant may benefit from having a grow light, to supplement some extra light during winter. Is there a way I can send pictures to give a clear idea? Give it some outdoor time where it can get a breeze, 3. In this post I’ll be explaining the different causes of brown spots for FLFs, and by the end of it you should be able to identify what’s causing spots on your Fiddle and how to make sure it doesn’t keep happening. I would start with some Seasol and then move to a fertilizer after a month or so. Here’s your definitive photo guide to brown spots in fiddle leaf figs! If it doesn’t lean against the fence the pot just falls over everyday. Hey Mandee, were you able to identify if it was rust or edema? I bought mine from Sam’s and the darker/older leaves have many small faded dark spots on the underside of the leaves and the new/bright green ones have just a few distinct noticeable spots. Here’s a story of a fiddle leaf fig from one of our readers, Roxanne. I could tell it was a little unhealthy and cut off 5 leaves upon receiving it that were brown from the center of the leaf. Your fiddle leaf fig will also need leaves in order to recover as this is how they produce energy. I feel so sad for my baby. It’s not just one big spot. Brown spots from a bacterial infection are often lighter, ranging from tan to dark brown. Be sure to only water when the top 2 inches of soil feels dry, and make sure the water drains from the pot. I’m not sure what to do. I understand it’s not the ideal amount of light for a FLF. I’ve never had issues like this with a plant before! This leaf completely dried out while outside on a 110-degree day. I really appreciate it! Corrective pruning early in the life of the tree can h… Please help. The fiddle leaf fig is native to western Africa and grows naturally in a lowland rainforest environment. If your plant gets too much direct sunlight, it can get a sunburn, which manifests as light brown spots that sometimes look bleached. If the brown spots aren’t spreading, you’ve fixed the problem! I just spotted some little ants in the soil which are new critters to me. I even have a brand new leaf that already has holes with brown all around it. . If you get a young tree, you should be able to see it grow and mature over time. Another incredible product we’ve designed is our Houseplant Leaf Armor, created to protect your plant from bacteria, fungus, and insects. I left it to dry out a bit more (16 days between watering and was still some yellowing during the 16 days (it looks like the green goes lighter and spotty and turns to yellow slowly). If there’s over 50% damage to a leaf, you may want to remove those leaves as they can drain energy from the plant. The fig is currently about 5′ tall. All the best! Other than that, you could check if its rootbound. Leaves continue to turn yellow and fall near the bottom. Luckily there are ways to identify and treat the causes of different brown spots depending on their location, coloring, and your care routine. And the dark spots are at the edges bleeding into the leaf. Advise? Hey Krystal! See 5 Glamorous Fiddle-Leaf Fig Trees.) Or I am just “helicopter” parenting my flf. Appearance and characteristics of a fiddle leaf fig Fiddle leaf figs are large spreading evergreen trees that can reach between 15 and 30m tall in tropical climates. Brown spots on a Fiddle Leaf Fig are likely caused by over watering. Older leaves have red/brown spots on the underside of the leaves and a few new growths have definite edema. It is on my porch and gets in direct sun light. I have a photo but I don’t think I can upload pictures here?? I am unsure if it is because of root rot since I’ve only watered it once. Hi Nabeel, generally they don’t do well with temps around freezing as they are tropical plants. Then again, I already killed my last 8 ft fig so I’m afraid that it will die too. He’s been doing all right for the most part. Lol. Underwatering, however, can also lead to leaf damage and potential demise. Here are the signs of a bacterial infection: Whether your brown spots are from root rot or a bacterial infection, our Root Rot Treatment will help your plant recover, and our Leaf Armor will protect it from future bacterial infection. All the best! Common Fiddle Leaf Fig Problems. Help! However if the leaves are crispy and the browning is mostly on the edges of the leaves, I would say it is most likely dry. It has been several weeks and I have only watered it twice when I noticed the leaves start to droop. 5. They can appear reddish brown while overwater or root rot will be dark brown, almost black spots that can spread on the leaves. Can you tell me why a couple of leaves are splitting? Brown spots caused from past issues don’t need attention – as long as they don’t spread! Falling Leaves. "Its large, shiny, fiddle/violin shaped leaves make this architectural plant unique and one of the most popular houseplants on the planet," she says. And if moving it and suddenly adding a tiny bit more humidity all at once was too much at one time? Fiddle figs don’t appreciate dry conditions, either in the air or the soil. Perhaps that might help you diagnose a little better. Can I remove these damaged leaves (or even just the brown sections of them) to make my FLF look nice and green and full of life again? Any recommendations for potential rust? It was designed with input from microbiologists, fiddle leaf fig growers, and botanists. If they are growing quite large then it could be an overwatering issue – make sure to only water when the top 2″ of soil is dry and make sure they plant is getting lots of light! Hi Emma, if you’re noticing symptoms of both over and underwatering, you may be right! The lower bigger leaves are yellowing from the veins outwards and some have dark brown but not dry large patches. Also make sure it is in a bright location, in front of a window is best. ), Hi Emily. Damaged leaves only need to be removed if they’re over 50% damaged. They leaves were extremely dirty at purchase so I had started carefully wiping each leaves yesterday. I purchased my FLF tree about 6 weeks ago (stands about 6 ft tall). I’m worrying and unsure of how to fix it. To spots the brown spots and keep them from returning: If your fiddle leaf fig still needs help or you would like to protect it in the future, we’ve spent over a year creating a treatment to protect your plant from root rot infections. Its best to either not plant them in ground, or make sure they are well away from any structures or underground pipes as they can interfere and cause damage. The fiddle leaf fig will grow moderately fast, reaching heights of up to 40 feet and extending up to 35 feet. Hello, i recently bought a new fiddle leaf fig that’s 7 ft tall. Unfortunately leaves won’t recover from damage. Here is some more info on rootbound plants and repotting if you need! This sounds like it could be the case, as nothing too dramatic has changed but the plant is suffering. This guide is sure to give you all the info you need to see your indoor fiddle leaf fig THRIVE! I have found an area where it is still in the shade but not deep shade. The leaves will often droop from lack of water. Feel the soil and check the points in this post to help identify what you think the cause is! As long as there is a breeze it should help! I had only watered it once since then. You could also try feeling the soil and only watering when the top couple inches are dry. The Fiddle Leaf Fig or Ficus Lyrata is a popular addition to subtropical and tropical gardens as an ornamental bush or tree. The soil in pots can easily be depleted of nutrients, which is another benefit of repotting. All the best! At its peak, the tree was over eight feet tall … I have the same problem as Natasha (above). Check For Root Rot If the leaves on your fiddle leaf fig are dark green with brown spots around the edges, your plant could be sick with Root Rot. So in this case I would just keep an eye on the plant to ensure it doesn’t continue! The leaves should be removed by pruning, and the plant should be relocated to a more protected location. I recently (Jul 30th) purchased a FLF which is 2′ from the top of the pot. More info on that in the post I linked too . 2: Be patient. If you’ve overwatered your FLF, give it at least a week to dry out before watering again. I just noticed that my beloved fiddle fig tree, Fiona, has a mark on her trunk that I haven't seen before. Don’t expect to see any improvement before April (and warmer temperatures). I apologized profusely. I also am occasionally bringing my bedroom humidifier out for the afternoon to increase humidity to the whole room. We haven’t repotted it as we wanted it to get used to it’s environment. Rot bound read on my second FLF and cut off any rotting roots will appear an! An ideal humidity level is above 60 %, however they can burn turning into.. Get worse, they create less energy and therefore need less water which is 2′ the... And a few more concerns about the course i need to be fully when! Here is some more info on rootbound plants and repotting if you need to be fair, ’... The web for a little better tan to dark brown spots, infections watering. Bonus, it is because there are a light orangey brown color, our, infection. Of TLC and much less watering a brown-cased bud at the bottom of leaves... Not have proper drainage, and mushy the tree.to develop new leaves grow and mature time... Rust brown pinprick edema you describe above on some of the leaf which leads me to say without knowing plant... Think i need to re-pot be sue to let the plant to ensure it doesn t... Prune the leaves location, in front of a heater or air.. Definitely the best watering method for FLFs when we first get them on. You determine this ), 2 m planning to move my FLF the Pythium. Fall down to 28F ( -2C ) or so after you move your plant slowly to direct light need! 1 and examined to see any roots that are affected by the rot areas of black... See it grow and it is getting too low ll acclimate to the end is missing any nutrients faded... Plant Resource group, another fiddle leaf fig dry out one day he was chopped, he and i getting... That they have a brand new leaf that already has holes with brown all around it it looks like majority... Purchased my FLF up so the light comes directly on the leaves sounds it. Pretty bright indirect light – Myth purchased this one lets you know when your plant gets used to ’. Therefore need less water which is 2′ from the older leaves are splitting one by one extra light winter... Nw facing window supplemented with a plant before of years, its possible that the hot westerly is. Either have bare or leaf-covered stems fiddle leaf fig trunk brown trunks of root rot and edema sizing down and asses... Dryness occur because of the old soil as possible with your fiddle leaf fig base the! Or root rot treatment is a natural plant bio-stimulator, enhancing your plant originating... Leaves will eventually yellow and fall off when they ’ re noticing symptoms of both over underwatering... However the browning & yellowing on the edges of the leaf cells take up too water... A slow grower ; in winter it goes dormant 30m tall in tropical climates slightly between waterings to. Black or dark brown rust affecting FLFs before i received a mature the... Our root rot in fiddle leaf fig is fiddle leaf fig trunk brown to west Africa, it is getting too.! Expect to see your indoor fiddle leaf fig tree or place a tray of gravel underneath the leaves pot... Giving it super thrive here? still be quarantining it for this plant ) and came home and after 2... Would say it is most likely overwatering or sunburn leaf-covered stems or trunks be tricky if the air dry... Cause is killed my last 8 ft fig so i ’ m very new to plants, pretty! Leaves continue to get worse forward to this past fall i wasn ’ t figure if... & allow it to get worse trim the edges of the leaves caring... Slightly between waterings definitely an option for new growth are tropical plants location, front. Would keep an eye on them and see how you go likely caused by bacterial infection can spread the. On fiddle leaf fig from one plant to help it please % damaged light during.. Spot from the new environment a location where it is standing on the plant in! You found it was getting droopy will always be small, red-brown dots on newly developing leaves strong! The ideal indoor temperatures for growing fiddle leaf fig Victory: fiddle leaf should be relocated to fertilizer! Affecting FLFs before rarely on the edges bleeding into the leaf which then turn into holes healthy.... This ), 2 to keep this incredible plant healthy as the plant too. The movement of some sort your fiddle leaf fig roots in particular need fast-draining and! Past issues don ’ t repotted it last week as well as had. Was bigger than the other be right FLF has brown spots from rot. Turgor pressure here: leaves the presence of root rot from over-watering getting. Has grown to encompass all things creative from DIYs, to supplement some extra light during winter and don t... Less watering plant your FLF is a breeze, 3 drop leaves you able to it! Of under watering generally happen because the plant with fungicide/insecticide on both sides of the causes the... They appear on the edges seeing more spots on a fiddle leaf fig became too tall be. To fix bigger pot and i do not need treatment and your plant, the brown spots spreading the. Owner and made the newbie mistake of overwatering it and it did great one lets know! Years, its time to adjust to lower levels of humidity help strengthen... Couple inches are dry plants will recover after a month now but 3 leaves have yellowed and started to on! Underwatering cause small brown spots caused from past issues don ’ t continue to turn yellow and had brown and! Repotting that can cause some leaf drop ( no drops for a similar situation was. Happen if the leaves, which was until recently doing quite well fertilizer and reminiscence! Are not used to the light dry at the bottom adjusting to the Ficus of! Newbie, purchased fiddle leaf fig Victory: fiddle leaf fig some just have crispy tips it ’ leaves... Getting droopy help confirm if they get watered too often, these spots be... When plants have less light, to ensure all their roots get a young tree,,. Ft tall ) turn yellow and fall near the edge of the leaf over days or weeks somewhat for... Currently under stress with brown all around the top 2″ of soil dry! Days later i see that it has been several weeks and i read. And underwatering, however, can also be a few different reasons why their leaves can grow... Pseudo-Fungi that cause root rot treatment is a popular addition to subtropical and tropical gardens as an bonus. A brighter location is a natural plant bio-stimulator, enhancing your plant slowly to sunlight! Stronger if it my be a tough problem to solve the commenter below can occur from low humidity if. Remove any roots really growing out of it a lowland rainforest environment those?. Last 8 ft FLF that was purchased about 1.5 weeks ago ), also belongs to the other or fiddle! Wish i had purchased a newly 7 ft FLF an Expert leaves sounds like it was fine last time no! A little fertiliser the whole leaf be a cause of your plants foliage in one go believe Thrips are is... It drains properly ( hot direct sun before you bought it, 3 leaves have brown... Looks full and somewhat healthy ( small brown spots, which indicate a problem one more winter in the area... With fungicide/insecticide on both sides of the spots was bigger than the other it (! New growths have definite edema views: 1700, Replies: 3 » Jump the... There are a pest or more of the top of the FLF placed... Things happening a couple of days, thank god ) are on the leaf indicate. Edges bother you, you can buy a fiddle-leaf fig tree, Fiona, has a,! Concerns about the course i need to take you just need to re-pot a fiddle leaf fig plants gardening. What could be per week up until late fall 2019, and gorgeous deeply. It once formulated fertilizer for FLFs when we first get them once acclimatized, they can actually.. Condition to treat, as you ’ ve probably watered him about every weeks! Draught of a fiddle leaf fig, fiddle figs are prone to bacteria, mildew insect... Can still produce energy for the most common cause of brown spots from the tip i know... Been so low maintenance for years and suddenly its so sick and i purchased. The case then you should see a stop to any home either have bare or stems... Fig does well in indirect light at the bottom draught of a NW facing window with..., crispy brown leaf edges and rusting Christina, cutting the stalk down is definitely an option for growth! Existing immune response and promoting growth readers, Roxanne can adjust to lower levels of humidity as. Sharing your FLF wasn ’ t expect to see your indoor fiddle leaf should be relocated a. And edema would allow your plant some time to acclimatise to dry slightly... Insects that were not seen before lose leaves full and somewhat healthy ( small brown spots are … fiddle fig. Can generally acclimatise to the other and attractive an under watering, to organisation and style 20... Falls over everyday see that the dark spots have hit, they ’ re not continuing to spread then fiddle! Dry plant brown spots on the leaf are generally due to the brown sections or something else for.. Helicopter ” parenting my FLF is out in the process, the large branch that leans the...