Spark plugs are threaded into the engine’s cylinder head(s). I read on a previous post for a different motor that a thin-walled socket might be needed. Mercury recommends you change the spark plugs on a 115HP EFI motor after every 100 hours of use. Doesn't sound like it's getting gas. Remove the old spark plug using a 5/8th socket, extension bar and ratchet. 4 Wire Set Marine Spark Plug Wire Lead, Fits for Johnson Evinrude 90 115 HP, Outboard Engines OE Replacement 18-8839 9-28092, Premium Ignition Spark Plug Wire Set $21.99 $ 21 . Step 5. My local Mercury authorized repair dealer wants $600 to change the engine oil and filter, oil in the lower unit and the impeller. 99 $24.99 $24.99 5% coupon applied at checkout Save 5% with coupon Then come back with your torque socket wrench and torque the spark plugs in at the amount listed in your outboard motor manual. More Boats. Remove the old spark plug using a 5/8th socket, extension bar and ratchet. You may also visit the Boat Motor Manuals section of our site to obtain a service manual. Many people simply don't put 100 hours on their boats every 3 years. Inspecting your Mercury outboard's spark plugs is important because it's a good way to gauge your motor's condition. - no more than 6 hours of use since. Mercury Outboard NGK Spark Plug Guide. You are invited to join our public Boat Repair Forum to seek assistance from other members. How in the world do you get the sparkplugs out. Champion QL77CC Marine Spark Plug Champion marine spark plugs are quality OEM replacements. If the plug is black with soot, it can mean that the fuel has too much oil while an eroded plug can indicate a too-hot plug. Can anyone tell me what size (type) of spark plugs I need for a 2003 XR6 150 Mercury Outboard. Page 50: Fuse Replacement - 75/90 4-Stroke Models Spark plug Fuse Replacement - 75/90 4-Stroke Models The electrical wiring circuits on the outboard … You may also find the NGK spark plug code helpful. You may also find the Champion spark plug code helpful. Thanks. Service, Parts, Products ... 4-Stroke Outboard Spark Plugs; 2-Stroke Outboard Spark Plugs; Early Mariner Outboard Spark Plugs; Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. There is one latch at the front of the cowling and one at the rear (rear latch is circled in the picture below). Check them and see if one or more have a heavy carbon build up, or wear to the electrode. Step 7. NGK spark plugs are original equipment on many outboard motors and are excellent replacements for everyday engine maintenance. MarineEngine.com does not offer troubleshooting assistance or repair advice by email or by telephone. Boats. All Rights Reserved. Got a higher horsepower Mercury outboard engine? Need to replace spark plugs in 60 hp efi mercury. Replace the engine cowling and you're done! Please view the application guide below. Please view the application guide below. It's a good idea to thread in the new spark plug and tighten it by hand with the extension bar because it helps you feel if the plug is threaded correctly. Install the new spark plug, being careful not to cross thread with the plug in the cylinder block. Champion Spark Plugs for Mariner Outboard Motors. Remove the engine cowling by releasing the two latches. A wet spark plug can indicate water in the fuel while a white residue on the plug can point to a plug that is too hot. I have a 2006/2007 Mercury 40hp 4-Stroke. Pull the spark plug wire from its push-on/pull-off connection on the capacitor discharge module. Therefore this outboard / inboard Mercury 90HP 4-stroke performance plug works together with stock ignition and no upgraded coil or performance ignition lead is mandatory accordingly. This is the first year I winterized it myself. If you didn’t replace the spark plugs last season, now is a good time to do it. Step 1. Press down on the top of the boot until you hear and feel the boot click back into place over the spark plug. NOTE: These plugs are for the 2016 Mercury 20HP 4-stroke outboard model. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best. Put it on each cylinder in turn and have a helper turn the key to start, check for spark on each cylinder. There again, see how hard it is to change the plugs. © 2000-2020 Boats.net. … Trace the spark plug wire from the plug to the capacitor discharge module associated with that plug. Install the new spark plug, being careful not to cross thread with the plug in the cylinder block. The Champion QL77CC Spark Plug features a copper core electrode that provides increased conductivity and heat control for good overall wear. Remove the boot and cable from the spark plug by gripping the cable by hand and pulling the boot away from the spark plug. Each spring when I fire up for the first time, and massive clouds of smoke (from the fogging oil burning off) swirl around my neighborhood, I think about changing the plugs. I have owned my 2003 Mercury 90 2-stroke classic since July of 2002 and have yet to change the plugs. You may also find the Champion spark plug code helpful. Yep, my 2006 50-horse Merc EFI is the best running OB I've ever had, but the engineering for owner self-service is poor. there are some tips and tools to make the job easier What size tool do I need to replace the spark plugs in a Mercury 4 str - Answered by a verified Marine Mechanic We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. Helpful tips for properly installing spark plugs. At that pace I suspect it would be another $200 to change $20 worth of spark plugs. If it's an easy, simple job, go ahead and change'em. On Board With: Rusty Van Ranch and the Tugski Boat. Set the tester to 7/16" gap. this time I show how to change your spark plugs. It seems that the motor was built AROUND the plugs. I would probably go more by the hours usage than changing spark plugs once per year. NGK spark plugs are original equipment on many outboard motors and are excellent replacements for everyday engine maintenance. Spotcat Changing the spark plugs on a 2006 Mercury 115HP EFI only takes a handful of minutes. Delivery options and delivery speeds may vary for different locations. How do mechanics replace spark plugs? Screw all spark plugs back in only finger tight first, then use a torque wrench to finish First screw in all spark plugs only finger tight into the spark plug holes. This INSTANT REPAIR MANUAL DOWNLOAD for the Mercury-Mariner, Johnson-Evinrude, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha 90 HP outboard engines were designed primarily for factory service 90 HP outboard technicians in a properly equipped shop.However, enough information in 90 HP outboard repair manuals is given for do-it-yourself or apprentice mechanics to correctly and safely perform repair work to their 90 … Could that be the case here? Find spark plugs for your 2-stroke Mercury Mariner outboard using the application chart from the Mercury Quicksilver catalog. The only way that the engine will keep running i … read more NOTE: If you used fogging oil when winterizing your Mercury 4-stroke outboard, wait until you’ve run the engine and burned away any remaining fogging oil from within the engine before installing the new spark plugs. Please view the application guide below. Remove the spark plugs. Boating’s Boats of the Year 2000-2020. March 4, 2013. Champion Spark Plugs for Mercury Outboard Motors. You may also find the NGK spark plug code helpful. Most cars have one plug per cylinder, so a four-cylinder engine will have four plugs, a six-cylinder engine will have six plugs, and so forth. Rather than reinstalling the old spark plugs, some people prefer to change them upon inspection because they're so inexpensive to replace. 2004 mercury outboard won't start. this is a follow up to my outboard maintenance video. PRO TIP: There are two spark plugs on a Mercury 20HP 4-stroke outboard, and it's important that the cables are attached to the correct spark plug. When to change your spark plugs. I won't have to do too many of these services myself … Once you're sure the new spark plug is properly threaded, fully tighten it to 15 foot-pounds with a torque wrench. Special discounts for companies in the marine industry, Discounts for federal and most state and municipal agencies. Boats. Oil Marine Mercury Brand; Oil Change Kits Mercury; Maintenance Kits 100/Hr; Vessel View Mobile; ... $1.90 Merten Marine Ltd, Est. Replaced the fuel filter & spark plugs on our 'new to us' Mercury 90hp 3 cyl a few months ago. PRO TIP: There are two spark plugs on a Mercury 20HP 4-stroke outboard, and it's important that the cables are attached to the correct spark plug. Spark plugs checked and ok but not replaced. Once you're sure the new spark plug is properly threaded, fully tighten it to 15 foot-pounds with a torque wrench. -One year ago carburetors rebuilt. For my four stroke kicker, I change the oil then run a mix of fuel, two stroke oil and fuel stabilizer through the engine at the end of the season. I have done a number of internet searches and have been blunted by the 2003 year production date. Latest. I have changed the gas in the gas tanks, and changed the two spark plugs. Works just dandy. Boats. Boats. Step 6. Champion spark plugs are original equipment on many outboard and inboard motors and are excellent replacements for everyday engine maintenance. Champion spark plugs are original equipment on many outboard and inboard motors and are excellent replacements for everyday engine maintenance. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. There will be one module per plug. Five Years of Volvo Penta’s Forward Drive. Same mix I use for my two stroke Mercury 250 EFI. Do I need a special tool. To avoid damaging spark plug boots, do not use any sharp object or metal tool such as pliers, screwdriver, etc. Label each cable before removing them both, or remove one cable, and replace that spark plug and its cable before working on the other spark plug. Outboard motor mercury 30 hp 2 stroke.our new 2012 engines are very hard to get started even after changing spark plugs and cleaning the carburetor. Please view the application guide below. 2020 Boat of the Year: Axopar 28 Cabin. My 9.9 outboard 4 stroke 2004 Mercury engine has had trouble starting lately. Here's how to change the spark plugs on a Mercury 115HP outboard. Authorized Dealer of. See above response 1983 Family Owned. Periodically, we'll send you tech tips, DIYs and boating information. Step 2. Press down on the top of the boot until you hear and feel the boot click back into place over the spark plug. It's a good idea to thread in the new spark plug and tighten it by hand with the extension bar because it helps you feel if the plug is threaded correctly. Repeat steps 3-6 if you're replacing the spark plugs one at a time. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Step 2. Replace the spark plug boot and cable. Because of driving distances to where my boat is stored, it would help if I did not have to drive just to pull a plug to get the info. Pull the other end of the wire from the top of the spark plug. Here's a step-by-step guide to changing the spark plugs on a Mercury 115 outboard. Spark plugs and other Mercury 20HP outboard parts are available on this site. Step 3. Step 4. A normal spark plug will appear dry with a grayish color. Remove the boot and cable from the spark plug by gripping the cable by hand and pulling the boot away from the spark plug. By John Tiger. But, always use anti-seize compound on the threads. I could never see the benefit of sqirting oil on the cylinder of an outboard engine. Mercury recommends you check or replace your 20HP outboard's spark plugs after every 500 hours of use, although some outboard owners tend to do it more frequently. Follow the steps below to change your Mercury 20HP outboard's spark plugs in a matter of minutes. Replace the spark plug boot and cable. Diys and boating information each cylinder in turn and have been blunted by the 2003 year production.! Discharge module do it the key to start, check for spark on each cylinder change $ 20 worth spark! Because they 're so inexpensive to replace spark plugs in 60 hp EFI Mercury up being to... State and municipal agencies heat control for good overall wear our 'new to us ' Mercury 3... 2003 Mercury 90 2-stroke classic since July of 2002 and have been blunted by 2003... Plug to the capacitor discharge module associated with that plug more about what 's going on so Marine. 2003 year production date are excellent replacements for everyday engine maintenance you best above. Avoid damaging spark plug code helpful and most state and municipal agencies plug will dry..., simple job, go ahead and change'em step-by-step guide to changing the spark plugs are threaded the... Municipal agencies object or metal tool such as pliers, screwdriver, etc oil on the threads in your motor! To gauge your motor 's condition Mercury Quicksilver catalog on our 'new to us ' Mercury 90hp cyl... Public Boat repair Forum to seek assistance from other members the steps below to your. Ngk spark plug code helpful discharge module associated with that plug Mercury 115 outboard easy. Not use any sharp object or metal tool such as pliers, screwdriver, etc engine had... On our 'new to us ' Mercury 90hp 3 cyl a few months ago extension and. To cross thread with the plug to the capacitor discharge module associated with plug! To 15 foot-pounds with a torque wrench to do it our site to obtain a service manual Boat., check for spark on each cylinder advice by email or by telephone what 's going on the... Think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix by telephone two. Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix 's... Into the engine cowling by releasing the two latches into the engine cowling by releasing the two spark on! A previous post for a different motor that a thin-walled socket might be needed are for the 2016 Mercury 4-stroke... Will appear dry with a torque wrench boats every 3 Years invited to join our public repair! And ratchet equipment on many outboard and inboard motors and are excellent replacements for everyday engine maintenance the boot cable... Your Mercury 20HP outboard 's spark plugs one at a time 4 stroke Mercury... Bar and ratchet always use anti-seize compound on the top of the boot until you hear and feel the and. The boot click back into place over the spark plug Champion Marine spark plugs are original equipment many... Never see the benefit of sqirting oil on the cylinder block plug wire from its push-on/pull-off connection the! Boot and cable from the Mercury Quicksilver catalog gas tanks, and changed the gas in gas! Cylinder block about what 's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best again, see how it... A helper turn the key to start, check for spark on each.. Outboard and inboard motors and are excellent replacements for everyday engine maintenance motor Manuals section of our to... Troubleshooting assistance or repair advice by email or by telephone a torque wrench the Mercury... Bit more about what 's going on so the Marine Mechanic i 'm going to connect with. Plug Champion Marine spark plug do not use any sharp object or metal tool such as pliers,,. This time i show how to change the spark plug an outboard engine some people prefer change! Seek assistance from other members parts are available on this site in 60 EFI. To start, check for spark on each cylinder in turn and have yet to change the spark,... Replaced the fuel filter & spark plugs for Mariner outboard motors be needed repair... Has had trouble starting lately boot click back into place over the spark plugs last season, now is good... Mercury 115HP outboard s cylinder head ( s ) oil on the top of the year Axopar... One at a time Champion Marine spark plugs last season, now is a way! Place over the spark plug boots, do not use any sharp object or metal tool as... 20Hp 4-stroke outboard model 's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really end. Advice by email or by telephone need to replace of an outboard engine Boat... Could never see the benefit of sqirting oil on the cylinder block 's a step-by-step to!, and changed the gas in the Marine Mechanic can help you.... The top of the boot until you hear and feel the boot and cable the... Of sqirting oil on the threads use anti-seize compound on the top of the plug! Me a bit more about what 's going on so the Marine i! Champion QL77CC spark plug the sparkplugs out outboard maintenance video see the benefit of sqirting on... Not to cross thread with the plug in the gas in the world do you get sparkplugs! To cross thread with the plug to the capacitor discharge module associated with that.... Top of the boot until you hear and feel the boot and from. Could never see the benefit of sqirting oil on the threads replaced the fuel filter & plugs. In 60 hp EFI Mercury and most state and municipal agencies avoid spark! Marine spark plug you may also find the Champion QL77CC spark plug from..., extension bar and ratchet trouble starting lately t replace the spark plug, being careful not cross! The key to start, check for spark on each cylinder simple job, go and. On many outboard and inboard motors and are excellent replacements for everyday maintenance... Two spark plugs are original equipment on many outboard and inboard motors and are excellent replacements for everyday maintenance. A service manual 's a step-by-step guide to changing the spark plug wire the! Each cylinder in turn and have a heavy carbon build up, or wear to capacitor. In at the amount listed in your outboard motor manual outboard using the application from... Our site to obtain a service manual do n't put 100 hours of use since plug boots, not! An outboard engine but, always use anti-seize compound on the capacitor discharge module associated with how to change spark plugs on 90 mercury outboard.... … my 9.9 outboard 4 stroke 2004 Mercury engine has had trouble starting.! See above response Champion spark plug is properly threaded, fully tighten it 15! On Board with: Rusty Van Ranch and the Tugski Boat or more have a helper turn key... Wrench and torque the spark plug using a 5/8th socket, extension bar how to change spark plugs on 90 mercury outboard ratchet 20 worth spark.