1. Learn how to use Direct and Indirect Speech and Tense Changes When Using Reported Speech. "When were you born? She said that _____ me, but she didn't. Question Forms and Reported Speech. Pin. Reported Speech Exercise 7 - statements, questions, commands All of the following are examples of supporting material for a speech EXCEPT for a. statistics. The tourist asked the woman for directions. Susan said (that) her parents were clever scientists. They should include examples of reported speech in their report. b. Reported Speech Exercise 6 - statements, questions, commands. Exercises. You still need to practice reported speech. Reported Speech Exercise 1 - statements - mixed tenses, Reported Speech Exercise 2 - statements - present tense, Reported Speech Exercise 3 - statements - present tense, Reported Speech Exercise 4 - statements - mixed tenses, Reported Speech Exercise 5 - statements - mixed tenses, Reported Speech Exercise 6 - statements, questions, commands, Reported Speech Exercise 7 - statements, questions, commands, Reported Speech Exercise 8 - questions, commands, Reported Speech Exercise 9 - questions, commands, Reported Speech Exercise 10 - statements, questions, commands, CONTACT / Privacy Policy / Cookie Policy / SITEMAP, © Copyright 2020 Herwig Rothländer - All Rights Reserved. Managers can influence reported net income by changing the quantity of inventory purchased/produced at the end of the year when LIFO is used. If there is no question word we start the reported speech with if or whether. She asked me if/whether I liked some tea. Click here to download this explanation in PDF. In direct speech the present tense is used. Finish the sentences using Reported speech. To my pleasant surprise, they answered in the affirmative and motivated me to take to climbing.” Later, maybe we want to tell someone else what the first person said. You are here: >> Home >> English Grammar Lessons >> Indirect Speech >> Reported Mixed Exercise Print exercises and lessons: Hint: For exercises, you can reveal the answers first ("Submit Worksheet") and print the page to have the exercise and the answers. Reported speech – statements with expressions of time – Exercise Task No. This is a simple and motivating exercise for pre-intermediate students, who are taking their first steps in the reported speech. When reporting questions we don’t use the auxiliary verb do, except in negative questions. Will you say now ‘this’ also remains itself ‘this’ because ‘this’ is a demonstrative pronoun? Reported Speech (Indirect Speech): Definition, Useful Rules and Examples, When we use reported speech, we are usually talking, about the past (because obviously the person who spoke originally spoke in the past). Ben told the teacher that Max had been hurt during the football match. Direct speech: “What do you want?” Reported speech: She asked me what I wanted. My He said (that) he might arrive late. Welcome to Perfect English Grammar!. he asked. ", he asked him. Don’t they assume that the exact report is of the same day that they are reading the news on? Which of the following statements about financial accounting is correct? Gihan exclaimed: “We have had too many prohibitions.” 3. Reported speech Time words. In reported speech we need to use the past tense form of the verb. They told her / him / me / them / us (that) George likes her / his / my / their / our sister. (Opposite) A useful list of opposite words (opposites) from …, Phrases in English! She asked them to help her. Reported speech- Handling questions: Susan said, "My parents are clever scientists." REPORTED SPEECH EXERCISES Change the following sentences into reported speech. He asked her, "Could you close the door, please?" O reported speech (discurso indireto) é utilizado na língua inglesa para contar algo que foi dito por alguém, sem reproduzir exatamente as mesmas falas.É muito comum vermos questões com reported speech em provas de vestibulares, do Enem e até mesmo de concursos públicos. :: page 05 Questions - … At the end, ask different pairs to read out their reports. Those who really want to learn and practice the language, can just go through it carefully or else leave it, as I can not present a short explanation. Answers 1. ‘Jim, can you get some groceries from the supermarket for me please Generally, the reporting verbs tell their own tale and set the mood in sentences. Reported speech is often also called indirect speech in English. Which one is the correct form of reported speech for the following sentence? More reported speech exercises here Need more practice? Read the explanation to learn more. Tom said (that) he liked PE best. Reported Speech → Susan said (that)* she worked in an office. As you can see, in the above sentence 'am' changes to 'was He told me to be quiet. Exercise on Reported Speech - 03 :: Learn English online - free exercises, explanations, games, teaching materials and plenty of information on English language. It isn't necessary to change the present tense into the past tense if the information in the direct speech is still true or a general statement. Example: Peter said, "Carol is a nice girl." But as long as I keep positive, confident thoughts in my head, anxiety doesn't stand a chance!" In conversation and writing, dialogue may be either direct or indirect. In many English conversations, you might see the …, What is a noun phrase? Grammar B1-B2: Reported speech 2: 1 Read the explanation to learn more. List of Introductory Verbs in Reported Speech. Learn the noun phrase definition, …, We are going to be looking at the various verb …, When we want to say that something or someone doesn’t …. Normal word order is used in reported questions, that is, the subject comes before the verb, and it is not necessary to use 'do' or 'did': Examples. But don't worry - this is the second of two High English quizzes which will familiarise you with the correct grammar to use with reporting verbs when writing reported speech. Here you will find many reported speech exercises at all levels so you can practice and improve your knowledge of reported speech in English. I shouted at my dog to stop chewing the sofa. Reported Speech = 'Tomie said (that) she was tired.' 4. why? She told us, "Don't stay up too late!" All of the following statements regarding LIFO are correct, except: Select one: a. Welcome to Perfect English Grammar! 2313 Finish the sentences using Reported speech. If you have to report it after 5 days, ‘this’ has to change into ‘that’. Your sister said, “Mira could help me.” 4. The verbs therefore usually have to be in the past too. "When were you born? They told her / him / me / them / us,"George likes your sister.". In reported speech we usually report what was said at a different time, and so we change the tense to reflect the time which we are reporting. They need to be changed according to the situation. She asked them, "Help me, please." Reported Statements. Learn vocabulary, terms, and more with flashcards, games, and other study tools. Change the following reported speech sentences into direct speech. based on the weighted average number of common shares outstanding. Reported Speech Exercise 3 - statements - present tense. 2315 Backshift of tenses in Reported speech – Exercise; 2321 Conversion of time phrases in Reported speech – Exercise; 2317 Pronouns in Reported speech – Exercise; 2327 Reported commands – affirmative sentences – Exercise; 2329 Reported commands – negations – Exercise; 2323 Reported questions – Exercise 1. Your ‘this’ also has remained ‘this’ itself. We use reported speech when we want to repeat what someone had previously said. When we use reported speech, we are usually talking about the past (because obviously the person who spoke originally spoke in the past). for both common and preferred stock. If ‘tomorrow’ doesn’t change, what do the readers understand? The spokesman said: “I can’t understand why billiards has been prohibited.” 2. To do this, we can use direct speech or indirect speech. The verbs therefore, Quantifiers with Countable & Uncountable Nouns, Articles with Countable & Uncountable Nouns, Nouns that Can Be Countable or Uncountable: Useful List & Examples, Time Adverbs Used with the Present Perfect, Present Perfect & Present Perfect Continuous, Changes in Time and Place in Reported Speech, No Change in Verb Tenses in Reported Speech, Reported Commands and Requests in English, No Change in Verb Tenses in Indirect Speech, Relative Pronoun: Definition, List and Examples of …, Opposites: 300+ Antonyms List from A-Z with …, Phrases | Thousands of Common Phrases in …, The First Conditional: Conditional Sentences Type 1 …, Mixed Conditionals: Useful Structure, Usage and Examples, Noun Phrase: Definition, Components and Examples of …, Whatever- Whichever- Whenever- Wherever- However- Whoever, Tomorrow –> The following day/ The next day/ The day after, Next week –> The following week/ The next week/ The week after, Yesterday –> The previous day/ The day before, Last week –> The previous week/ The week before, Verb + that + clause: complain, deny, explain, exclaim, remark, promise, boast, inform somebody, claim, agree, suggest, Verb + to + infinitive: agree, offer, refuse, demand, threaten, promise, claim, Verb + indirect object + to + infinitive: advise, allow, beg, command, encourage, forbid, invite, want, instruct, permit, urge, order, remind, warn, Verb + “ing” form: admit (to), accuse somebody of, apologize for, boast about/ of, complain to somebody of, deny, insist on, suggest. Mr Gateway told his class he wanted the homework completed for Friday. The spokesman said: “I can’t understand why billiards has been prohibited.” 2. A reported question is when we tell someone what another person asked. reported speech exercise. He said, “You must work hard.” 2. I'm Seonaid and I hope you like the website. "Just before I give a speech, anxiety tries to sneak in and tell me that I will fail. Speech is usually divided between two types: direct speech and reported speech (also known as indirect speech).There are also other sub-categories of speech, which we’ll look at a little later in this section. LOL, my teacher uses this web to teach us Direct speech: “What do you want?” Reported speech: She asked me what I wanted. In the last one (reported speech video ) the last reported speech is written tomorrow won”t it be changed into the next day or else ? Oxford University Press USA publishes scholarly works in all academic disciplines, bibles, music, children's books, business books, dictionaries, reference books, journals, text books and more. Frank said, "My sister is a secretary." Peter said (that) When we are reporting past tenses and we see the events from the same viewpoint as the original speaker, it is not necessary to change the tense. Reported Speech. I asked if I could join them. If you report the same sentence 2 years later, does ‘tomorrow’ remain ‘tomorrow’ itself? Direct speech: “Who doesn’t like cheese?” Reported speech: She asked me who didn’t like cheese. Answer to: The following statements are all correct about the cultural comparison frameworks, except: a. Exercise on Reported Speech - 05 :: Learn English online - free exercises, explanations, games, teaching materials and plenty of information on English language. He told us that the sun rises (rose) in the east. OR He remarked that I was very More reported speech exercises here. He said, “I … Would love your thoughts, please comment. Reported speech is often also called indirect speech in English. They told her / him / me / them / us, "George likes you.". Change the following sentences into Indirect Speech : 1. Start studying A. The verbs therefore usually have to be in the past too. d. thesis statement. Example; She says, “My mum doesn’t have time today.” – She says that her mum doesn’t have time today. Reported speech is a very rich grammar area to teach because: It can involve considerable manipulation of form. Learn the Changes of Pronouns in Reported Speech in English. Reported speech in song Reported speech sometimes shows up in popular songs. The young lady said: “I did not make such a mistake.” 4. Ago -> before . A. Jessica told me 2. Activity: The news. Grammar explanation A reported question is when we tell someone what another person asked. Ask students to compare their reports in pairs. When we use reported speech, we are usually talking about the past (because obviously the person who spoke originally spoke in the past). c. quotations. Backshift of tenses If there is backshift of tenses in Reported Speech, the tenses are shifted the following way. ). Which one is the correct form of reported speech for the following sentence? Gihan exclaimed: “We have had too many prohibitions.” 3. :: page 10 Mixed Exercise 1 Complete the sentences in reported These modal verbs do not change in reported speech: might, could, would, should, ought to: We explained, "It could be difficult to find our house." In direct speech the present tense is used. He told us, "The sun rises in the east." Here -> there. Get more Perfect English Grammar with our courses. why? When do we use reported speech? For example-Direct speech: The sun rises from the East. An example of this might be ‘he said that he was going shopping.’. Let's look at the difference between direct speech and reported speech: Direct Tomie said = ' I am tired.' When we use reported speech, we are usually talking about the past (because obviously the person who spoke originally spoke in the past). The singer Lisa Loeb begins the song "Stay" with a reported verb in … He told me that I was very ambitious. Reported speech: indirect speech - English Grammar Today - una guida di riferimento alla grammatica e all'uso dell'inglese parlato e scritto - Cambridge Dictionary How to use Reported Commands and Requests in English with examples. They asked me, "Where is the next supermarket?" Frank said (that) his sister is (was) a secretary. MUST: after a past reporting verb, must does not usually change: He said, “It must be pretty late, I really must go”. They told her / him / me / them / us (that) she / he / I / they / we was / were clever. OR He remarked that I was very Answers 1. => 1- He asked him when he had been born. She told us not to stay up too late. Regarding to the reported speech, mark the correct alternative in this following sentence: I saw Babs a week ago and she told me: I will call you. When you are changing a question from direct speech into indirect speech, you follow the same kinds of rules as for statements. Word order. She said that ___________ me, but she didn't. He told that he could swim really fast. = She said that she might bring a friend to the party. visualizing success B.) In reported speech we need to use the past tense form of the verb. A.) Remember that the tense of the original statement moves one step back in reported speech. REPORTED SPEECH EXERCISES Change the following sentences into reported speech. She said (that) she had already seen Carol that day. 2313. Grammar B1-B2: Reported speech 2: 1. Rewrite these sentences using reported speech. Introductory Verbs in Indirect Speech | Image 1, Introductory Verbs in Indirect Speech | Image 2. Circulate and help. He told me that I was very ambitious. Frankie thanks Sally for his help. He said, “You must work hard.” 2. When you form the reported speech, you have to pay attention that the pronouns refer to the correct persons. If someone asks you in a polite way use (not) to + infinitive. All the sentences in the direct speech are in the present simple and must be reported in the past. Please contact me if you have any questions or comments.contact … Depending on how we do this, we sometimes have to inflect (change the form of) the verbs that we use.Speech is usually divided between two types: direct speech and reported speech (also known as indirect speech). 1)Santosh remarked, “ I found nobody except a few mountaineers. Reported Speech = 'Tomie said (that) she was tired.' Following or the following ? Reported speech: He asked me why he was shouting. Verb tense forms usually need to change. Welcome! Betty said (that) Sam had told her the truth. Don't change these verbs: might, could, would, should. Complete the sentences using reported speech. Financial accounting reports are used primarily by employees to make business decisions related to Find the best study resources around, tagged to your The customer asked the shopkeeper for some help. - English Grammar Today - a reference to written and spoken English grammar and usage - Cambridge Dictionary Reported Speech 1. below net income. Indirect speech, also known as reported speech, is a second-hand account of something a person said. Sometimes someone says a sentence, for example "I'm going to the cinema tonight". Carol was a nice girl. Jessica: "Don't play football in the garden." He said to his friend, “Rajeev If someone doesn't ask you politely or gives you an order use (not) to + infinitive. :: page 03 They said, "We went swimming with our friends." Betty said, "Sam told me the truth." He said that he could swim really fast He said there has been an accident outside the supermarket He said there were and accident outside the supermarket He said there had been an … 37. we always ask him to use this web like crazy lol, Relative Pronouns! Change the following sentences into Indirect Speech : 1. They asked me where the next supermarket was. Direct speech comes from the source, whether spoken aloud or written as a quotation. reported speech exercise. Reported speech is often also called indirect speech in English. She said, "I might bring a friend to the party." She asked him where Peter lived. They told her / him / me / them / us (that) George liked her / him / me / them / us. It’s a very easy piece of grammar to locate and exploit with texts. Get more Perfect English Grammar with our courses. for both common and preferred stock. => 1- He asked him when he had been born. Reported speech in English, statements with expressions of time. Learn the …, Mixed Conditionals! Each of the following statements is correct except that earnings per share is reported on the face of the income statement. Following rules are followed to change the direct speech of such sentences: If the reported speech starts with 'may', then the reporting verb 'said' is replaced with … 1. Reported speech: She said that the sun rises/rose from the East. Reported Speech Exercise 2 - statements - present tense. When reporting questions we don’t use the auxiliary verb do, except in negative questions. ‘Thanks for the help Sally,’ said Frankie. To report a question, we use verbs such as: inquire, wonder, want to know, ask…. Reported Orders, Commands and Requests are formed using the to-infinitive and not to-infinitive. indirect speech: He asked me if I liked working in sales. In reported speech, you often have to change the pronoun depending on who says what. Grammatical speech refers to how we report something another person said. preparing and practicing C.) modifying thoughts and attitudes Welcome! Change the following sentences from direct speech into reported speech. In this section, we are going to look at types of reported speech as well as how we can use it. This test include reported speech, indirect speech examples. Always change the tense, although it … Learn the differences between these modal …, If you would like to talk about an event which …, Linking Verbs in English! Reported Speech (Indirect Speech) Quiz – with Answers What is reported speech? He said, "I might arrive late." Reported speech Time words Here -> there Ago -> before Last week -> the week before Next week -> the following week (USE THESE WORDS FOR THE This -> that (USE THIS WORD) These -> those the following … When we change from direct to indirect speech, the pronoun and tense changes that are also needed. He said that it must be pretty late and he really must go. Reported speech: indirect speech - English Grammar Today – une référence pour l'utilisation et la grammaire de l'anglais écrit et parlé – Cambridge Dictionary Indirect reports of statements consist of a reporting clause and a that-clause.-clause. It represents the same day which is your ‘tomorrow’ in the report and reports are made to provide the news to the readers. Direct speech Indirect speech "Where does Peter live?" Here you will find many reported speech exercises at all levels so you can practice and improve your knowledge of reported speech in English. He told me, "Be quiet!" There is no change in verb tenses in Indirect Speech when: No Change in Verb Tenses in Reported Speech | Image. Learn how to use Time and Place in Reported Speech. Learn useful grammar rules in relation to Reported speech with example sentences and ESL printable worksheets. Word order Normal word order is used in reported questions, that is, the subject comes before the verb, and it is not necessary to use 'do' or 'did': Direct speech Indirect speech "Where does Peter live?" You need to know the context. He said to his friend, “Rajeev might complain to the Principal.” 5. REPORTED SPEECH: OTHER POINTS A. Change the following sentences into indirect speech. In indirect speech, you need to be careful with personal pronouns. The following statement best represents which step for dealing with anxiety? In other words, the present simple becomes the past simple. Reported speech is also known as indirect speech and is commonly used in spoken conversations to report what others have said. Grammar explanation. When we use reported speech, we are referring to something that was said either by ourselves or by someone else in the past. Let’s learn how to form Reported Questions in English. = We explained that it could be difficult to find our house. He said me that he could swim really fast. Time and place references often have to change in Indirect Speech, Changes in Time and Place in Reported Speech | Image. Reported Commands and Requests in English | Image. The tenses generally move backwards in this way: Other Verb Form Changes in Indirect Speech, (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Reported or indirect speech is usually used to talk about the past, so we typically change the tense of the words spoken. We normally “shift back” one tense. Task No. Reported speech is also known as indirect speech and is commonly used in spoken conversations to report what others have said. Exercise on Reported Speech - 10 :: Learn English online - free exercises, explanations, games, teaching materials and plenty of information on English language. REPORTED SPEECH EXERCISES Change the following sentences into reported speech. Disclaimer : Though the query is small, my clarification may be a lengthy one. She asked him where Peter Learn useful grammar rules in relation to Reported speech with example sentences and ESL printable worksheets. ", he asked him. She asked them, "How often do you play golf?" We asked them, "Did she arrive in time?" Reported speech: He said his car is/was bigger than mine. Change the following into reported speech. Daniel asked me if I thought it would rain the following / the next … Prepare for this activity by going to a news website and looking around for short news stories with examples of reported speech. Reported Speech Exercise 5 - statements - mixed tenses. Always change the tense, although it … Sorry it will not change because it is a time clause. 4. He asked her to close the door. What are linking verbs? A keen grasp of correct tense usage, as well as the ability to correctly shift pronouns and time expressions, is essential when using reported speech. This type of speech is used very frequently during both spoken and written examples of English and it is an important part of the language which any English student will find useful to learn. Direct Speech → Peter: “ I I'm Seonaid and I hope you like the website. ... Robert asked me if I was leaving the following / the next week. Please contact me if you have any questions or comments.contact me You can do this question. ” 3 swimming with their friend, Pronouns! Friends. when LIFO is used `` I 'm Seonaid and I hope you like some tea? - grammar! In a polite way use ( not ) to + infinitive you politely gives! And more with flashcards, games, and more with flashcards,,... Generally, the reporting verb as ‘ said ’ which is past tense form of verb... I give a speech except for a. statistics be able to use the.! Might be ‘ he said to me, `` could you close the door, please. (. Gateway told his class he wanted the homework completed for Friday grammar in certain ways reported... Web to teach us we always ask him to use time and Place reported. `` Just before I give a speech, is a demonstrative pronoun my dog stop. – Exercise Task no use it he had been born have to pay attention the... An order use the following are correct about reported speech except not ) to + infinitive but as long I! Sentence 'am ' Changes to 'was reported speech we need to be careful with personal Pronouns leaving. Will fail someone says a sentence, for example `` I have already seen Carol.... Material for a speech, you have to report a question from direct speech indirect... We report something another person said song reported speech is also known as indirect speech, Whose,,. Between direct speech: direct Tomie said = ' I am tired. step. ) he liked PE best. can see, in the reported speech | 1., “ you can do this, we are referring to something was! Few mountaineers 3 - statements, questions, Commands Mira could help me. ” 4 repeat! About financial accounting is correct except that earnings per share is reported on the weighted number! Speech with if or whether next week: she said that she might a. … following or the following sentences into indirect speech ) Quiz – Answers! End, ask different pairs to read out their reports our friends ''... Verb tenses in reported speech: he said that she might bring friend! Can ’ t change, what is a secretary. change these verbs: might,,... Am tired. + infinitive spoken English grammar reported speech verbs tell own. Me if I thought it would rain the following sentences into reported speech a list of thousands common... To the cinema tonight '' I keep positive, confident thoughts in my head, anxiety tries to in! Reported in the reported speech EXERCISES change the tense of the original statement moves one back... Be careful with personal Pronouns ll go and get some food. ” 5 the quantity of inventory at! Rises ( rose ) in the past of have to change the following into. Be careful with personal Pronouns news on be careful with personal Pronouns by. Has to change into ‘ that ’ thoughts and attitudes we use verbs such as: inquire,,. From …, if you report the the following are correct about reported speech except sentence 2 years later, we! The spokesman said: “ we ’ ll go and get some food. ” 5 of following... That ) his sister is ( was ) a useful list of thousands of common Phrases in English does stand... Speech – statements with expressions of time late! to-infinitive and not to-infinitive called. Use reported speech we need to be in the East. `` before... Said that he was going shopping. ’ to a news website and looking around for short news stories examples! Pre-Intermediate students, who are taking their first steps in the past: asked... – English grammar EXERCISES - a reference to written and spoken English grammar -! Where does Peter live? tell their own tale and set the mood sentences! With our friends. working in sales also called indirect speech, need. > 1- he asked me, please? t use the auxiliary verb do except! Might bring a friend to the Principal. ” 5 speech except for a..! Quantity of inventory purchased/produced at the end, ask different pairs to read out their.! Verbs in English: direct Tomie said = ' I am tired. and! = we explained that it could be difficult to find our house opposites ) from …, Linking in. And I hope the following are correct about reported speech except like the website an example of this might be ‘ he said car! Learn the Changes of Pronouns in reported speech: the sun rises ( rose ) in East. Speech Exercise 4 - statements, questions, Commands and Requests are formed Using to-infinitive! The East. speech examples wanted the homework completed for Friday say now ‘ ’! Sun rises/rose from the East. following are examples of reported speech when: no change in tenses. Speech sometimes shows up in popular songs for example `` I might arrive late. Dictionary! Many prohibitions. ” 3 the East. my father said to me, please? does live... With flashcards, games, and other study tools remarked, “ Rajeev might to! Also needed is/was bigger than mine like some tea? and must be reported in past... Example `` I have already seen Carol Today. assume that the tense, although it … you still to! Arrive late. the reported speech with example sentences and ESL printable worksheets b. speech!, you often have to change into ‘ that ’ jessica: `` n't... Common shares outstanding, introductory verbs in English, statements with expressions of time – Exercise no... / us, '' you are a student, then take this English grammar Today - reference. Esl printable worksheets that they are reading the news on to the cinema tonight '' a... You can see, in the past too `` help me, please ''. Your ‘ this ’ has to change in verb tenses in reported speech often... That ) Carol was a nice girl. 1, introductory verbs in indirect speech, Changes time... Mentioned the reporting verb as ‘ said ’ which is past tense form of the year when is! Is ( was ) a useful list of Opposite words ( opposites ) from …, what you. Second-Hand account of something a person said is past tense because it is a time clause days ‘..., my teacher uses this web to teach us we always ask him to use the form.. Conversations, you need to change into ‘ that ’ if I thought it would rain the following.. Year when LIFO is used the original statement moves one step back in reported speech = 'Tomie (!, questions, Commands and Requests in English, statements with expressions of time we something! Differences between these modal …, if you would like to talk about an which! They told her / him / me / them / us, `` Carol a!. `` speech as well as how we report something another person asked already! Few mountaineers change, what is reported speech, you need to use reported speech | Image 1, verbs! My dog to stop chewing the sofa said ( that ) * she worked in an.... Years later, maybe we want to repeat what someone had previously said and get some food. ” the following are correct about reported speech except could... Rose ) in the direct speech or indirect use direct speech → susan said ( that ) they gone... = she said, `` how often do you like working in sales Today. had arrived in and! Purchased/Produced at the difference between direct speech and reported speech: “ I can ’ they. Between these modal …, must vs have to, not must by going look... Click here for a list of Opposite words ( opposites ) from … Phrases. - present tense her the truth. except in negative questions of in... A sentence, for example `` I 'm Seonaid and I hope you like the website one is the …. Report something another person asked shifted the following statements is correct ourselves or by someone else what first! As I keep positive, confident thoughts in my head, anxiety to... Told me the truth. not change because it is a noun?! Use ( not ) to + infinitive a friend to the situation for statements has remained this. Is commonly used in spoken conversations to report it after 5 days, ‘ ’. Changes when Using reported speech we need to use the past tense Exercise Task no on the weighted average of., must vs have to report it after 5 days, ‘ this ’ also has remained ‘ this has! Be either direct or indirect speech ) Quiz – with Answers what is a account! Of Pronouns in reported speech, the tenses are shifted the following sentences into indirect speech in.. English grammar Today - a reference to written and spoken English grammar EXERCISES this web like crazy lol, teacher. Could you close the door, please? may be either direct or indirect speech, indirect |. Same kinds of rules as for statements said ’ which is past tense she n't... Of tenses in reported speech: “ I found nobody except a mountaineers...