cantonese food at home is particularly on my mind recently, since i’ve been going to cantonese classes after work for the past 2 months. Fry until fragrant. - Value - You're not really getting value from this place. Factors such as brands purchased, natural variations in fresh ingredients, etc. garlic and rosemary infused penne with chickpeas. Add Pat the salmon fillets dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Find out how to make it. If you refrigerate the rice overnight, it will definitely clump; you can easily break up the cold rice clumps into individual grains with your hands. In this recipe, we combine it with brown rice, spices and ginger to create a protein-packed fried rice dish. Heat oil in wok until hot. 6 years ago: mediterranean baked chicken | garlic and rosemary infused penne with chickpeas. Add the rice, having it touch as many surfaces in the pan as possible. I wish I could make it, but I have no preserved fish! See more ideas about Yu choy, Ethnic recipes, Food. 1 year ago: baked curly fries with za’atar | toasted black sesame latte Add the carrotsand yu choy. it’s actually crispy, and it’s the kind of fried rice that is so flavorful on its own that you don’t need to eat it with anything else. Served with rice. Heat the wok now over high heat. I had never seen fried rice where the rice was still white and I wondered why this recipe left out a pretty common ingredient to fried rice. This easy stir-fried dish turns plain white rice into flavorful grains lightly seasoned with soy sauce and tossed with colorful … (110g, 40-60 size, deveined and shells removed). In the same pan used to cook the fried rice, heat 1 tablespoon of oil on medium-high until hot. 2 years ago: creamed kale and kimchi pasta | atk’s clumpalicious almond granola Add the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes, being sure to heat the rice uniformly. Yu Choy, Chicago: See 8 unbiased reviews of Yu Choy, rated 4 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #2,931 of 9,783 restaurants in Chicago. instead, i’ve included some lap cheong (chinese sausage) for good measure (and fattiness!). Learn how your comment data is processed. i was supposed to to be basking in my 13 days of break between leaving a job that no longer fit my needs and goals by playing around on the met steps and walking off the pie i was already eyeing before hunkering back down for a new professional adventure. Yu Choy Restaurants, Chinese 548 N. Wells , Chicago IL 60610 | (312) 245-9700 | yuchoy.com Menu $8.15. With all fried rice recipes, it’s best to use a little bit less water so as to prevent producing a mushy, sticky rice mess that you will not be able to stir-fry properly! When the steam stops wafting off the fresh-cooked rice, use a fork to fluff the rice up and break it apart. I’ve made a Kimchi Fried Rice in the past but I wanted to make something a little less spicy using fresh bok choy instead of kimchi (pickled bok choy) and bacon instead of … 60654-7114 food Delivery | ChineseMenu.com We’re Bill, Judy, Sarah, and Kaitlin– a family of four cooks sharing our home-cooked and restaurant-style recipes. Just dice it up and follow the recipe ;-). Subscribe to our email list and be sure to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube! I mean, who in ancient China made roast pork fried rice, or even roast pork like it’s made today? Cook the rice (see our post on how to cook rice without a rice cooker). In a pot of boiling water, blanch the shrimp and drain. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Hi Sheila, you are just not used to this type of fried rice. Place in the … Next, mix in the scrambled eggs, scallions, chopped lettuce, and white pepper. Return the skillet to medium-high heat, and add some extra oil if there’s not much fat left in the pan. Considering all of the other variations of fried rice (with egg, pork, chicken, beef, vegetable, etc.) I think it’s better than take-out to be honest. You’re welcome Xiaoyi, love to hear your baby is enjoying it also! I might be so bold as to conclude that this Young Chow Fried Rice may be the only authentic fried rice dish that can be easily traced from the West back to China. Also do I need to precook the ham in the water before stir fry along with the cooked pork? Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pan turn on medium to high fire. Serve hot! we were in a shop with medicines and a bunch of dried things, and in the back in the freezer, was some haam yu. But is a version in Vietnam. Add the rice to the bowl of aromatics and set aside. Fold and scramble them gently, taking care not to scorch the eggs. Next, add the diced ham and pork, and stir-fry for 30 seconds. A typical stir-fried pho with beef in Vietnam contains pho (of course), beef and yu choy sum. Add salt and pepper to taste, then top with the scallions. This Pork Fried Rice is so good! Add 2 tablespoons of oil and the diced onion. You'll find that it's super easy to do in your home kitchen. I tried two bites and out came the soy sauce. Perfect for these at-home days – so much flavor and the lovely process of cooking it. Restaurant menu, map for Yu Choy - Yu Shan - China Court located in 60642, Chicago IL, 1146 N Milwaukee Ave. Young Chow fried rice (AKA Yung Chow fried rice or Yeung Chow fried rice) is actually a dish that originated from the city of Yangzhou in Jiangsu province. Add the garlic cloves to the oil and fry … Definitely going to make some Fried Rice! After the rice is done, let it cool uncovered. Our bok choy fried rice is packed with flavor and sneaks in some extra greens. A listing on Allmenus.com does not necessarily reflect our affiliation with or endorsement of the listed restaurant, or the listed restaurant's endorsement of Allmenus.com. I also have an article about Yangzhou Fried Rice. The yu choy sum in the U.S. is not as tender as the yu choy sum in Vietnam but I have found that baby bok choy is an awesome substitute since it can stay crisp-tender in this stir fry rice noodles dish. Believe it or not, most Cantonese fried rice dishes don’t have soy sauce :-). Quickly stir fry all the ingredients … Add the shrimp and peas, and stir fry continuously for another 2 minutes until the rice is heated through. Turn the heat to medium. To obtain accurate nutritional information for a recipe, use your preferred nutrition calculator to determine nutritional information with the actual ingredients and quantities used. Bill is the dad of The Woks of Life family. 3 years ago: lunar new year at california adventure | swiss chard and sweet potato gratin Next sprinkle the salt and sugar over the rice. haam yu chow faan, or salted fish fried rice, is my favorite kind of fried rice, and the kind of salty, carby side/meal that i’ve been craving. GREAT WILL TRY IT,HAD IT MANY TIMES BUT IS TIME TO MAKE IT. Then, add 4 cloves of garlic. Stir fry the yu choy or Chinese broccoli to brown them. Cook, without touching the rice, for 5-7 minutes, or until the underside is crispy. When the steam stops wafting off the fresh-cooked rice, use a fork to fluff the rice up and break it apart. Just rinse your hands with cold water periodically if they get too sticky during the process. Heat the wok now over high heat. Add the ham yu meat, onion, garlic, ginger and lap cheong. Next sprinkle the salt and sugar over the rice. Fried rice is one of my favorite ways to make a whole new meal out of leftover rice. Add a big pinch of salt to the eggs, whisk quickly, then pour into the skillet. Microwave the haam yu for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until it’s soft and pliable. The fish and Chinese sausage together sound so good. Learn how your comment data is processed. your kitchen might be a little fragrant if you don’t air out after you cook) than it tastes, but it adds that kind of salty, briny, seafood-y goodness that you get from fish sauce. Return the skillet to the lowest heat possible. Sorry to both you. she also recommended using a whole frozen fish in a cellophane package (and hacking off a piece), not the ones you find packed and canned. Use your wok spatula to flatten out and break up any remaining rice clumps. This salted fish fried rice is essentially seasoned rice, but if you’re looking to make this more into a meal, you could add some ground or chopped chicken and veggies, and call it a day! the carrots and yu choy. Oct 22, 2019 - Explore L C's board "choy sum" on Pinterest. Stir-fry until the onions are translucent. Thanks for a great recipe. Though I enjoyed making this dish, including the Chinese BBQ Pork, which I loved, the fried rice without any soy sauce was, well, awful. It’s turning into one of my favorite ways to eat it actually. Fu Chow Fried Rice at Zine Noodles Dim Sum "**Summary** - Ambiance - This is a fancy Chinese restaurant. “I am proud to say that your genealogy has been the sole tutorial for my Asian-inspired culinary adventures for years; probably since you began. i’m now stocked up on packaged tapioca pearls in case boba shops shut down, i have a shift at the food bank set up tomorrow (they don’t have enough volunteers, so help out if you can! Order Food Online from your favorite neighborhood spots in Chicago, IL. Stir the eggs around to make small wisps of egg, lifting up the cooked bits and moving them around so that the wet egg can contact the pan. even though it was frozen, she was looking for something soft, rather than hard, because that’s going to carry into your food even if you re-hydrate or cook it. Bok choy (also known as pak choy or chinese cabbage) is a leafy vegetable that is available all year round but is most abundant in the winter months. Thank you very much for your post. Return the skillet to the lowest heat possible. Early Chinese restaurant owners had to translate the name of the dish in their own dialect to the English spelled words, so we now find ourselves eating “Young Chow,” instead of “Yang Zhou” fried rice. Serve your Young Chow Fried Rice with some hot sauce or chili oil on the side! How to make Yu Choy. Don’t worry of there are still clumps – you can deal with those in the wok later. If using, drizzle the Shaoxing around the perimeter of the wok to get a good sizzle and to cook off some of the alcohol in the wine. Add the white pepper, soy sauce and sesame oil, then mix to combine. Looking for more authentic recipes? Discover dishes what local foodies are recommending at Yu Choy. You will need the following ingredients for my yu choy recipe: 1 tbsp avocado oil 1 tsp garlic 4 cups yu choy unpacked 1 tbsp soy sauce 1 tbsp dry sherry wine ½ tbsp sesame oil. Served with steamed … This young chow fried rice recipe is fit for an emperor (no really). brown rice, eggs, fish, fried rice, nut-free, rice, salted fish. Adding some liquid directly to large clumps of rice will help to break them up. The stretching … Stir fry to combine, until the lettuce is just wilted, and plate! Stir fry to combine, until the lettuce is just wilted, and serve! Much better! If using, drizzle the Shaoxing wine around the perimeter of the wok to get a good sizzle and to cook off some of the alcohol in the wine. Early Chinese restaurant owners had to translate the name of the dish in their own dialect to the English spelled words, so we now find ourselves eating “Young Chow,” instead of “Yang Zhou” fried rice. After the rice is done, let it cool uncovered. If you continue to use DNG, you are agreeing to this. I love this dish, Heather! Perhaps one of the best ways to savor this … Add the shrimp and peas, and stir fry continuously for another 2 minutes until the rice is heated through. this is so lovely. This recipe is a takeout menu staple, but back then it was definitely food fit for an emperor! In a large non-stick skillet, heat a little oil over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, 2 to 3 minutes, or until the carrots are softened and the yu choy is wilted. A delectable blend of pea pods, red and green peppers, mushrooms, water chestnuts, broccoli, carrots, and bamboo shoots in a fresh, ginger sauce or garlic sauce, a tasty classic that is sure to please. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Young Chow fried rice (AKA Yung Chow fried rice or Yeung Chow fried rice) is actually a dish that originated from the city of Yangzhou in Jiangsu province. if you want crispier fried rice, i definitely recommend leftover rice, since it’s less wet than fresh rice. Specializes in all things traditional Cantonese and American Chinese takeout. Add the bowl with the ginger and garlic mixture, and then some oil to the mixture. Check with this restaurant for current pricing and menu information. Choice of chicken, additional charges for shrimp, scallops or beef. Use your wok spatula to flatten out and break up any remaining rice clumps. In the days of the Qing dynasty (1754-1815), when this dish was invented, they probably used shrimp, cured ham (which was more like a pancetta or prosciutto), eggs, and scallion, but that’s anyone’s guess (any Chinese food historians out there reading this?). Choy sum can be steamed, blanched, or stir fried. the haam yu, or salted fish, smells a lot stronger (sorry in advance! Heat the oil in your wok until hot. Chinese fried rice made with fragrant jasmine rice, carrots, peas, and scrambled eggs. https://www.pepperbowl.com/bok-choy-fried-rice-with-basmati-rice Hi Cơm, That’s great – many countries and places have made their own local versions of many dishes including this yangzhou fried rice ;-). American Chinese takeout this a few TIMES for my family this restaurant for current pricing and menu.., Instagram, and stir fry continuously for another 2 minutes until the carrots are softened the... T worry of there are still clumps – you can use fresh rice, HAD it MANY TIMES is! Add choice of chicken, additional charges for shrimp, scallops or.. A rice cooker ) if there ’ s better than take-out to be honest meat..., stuck on a 24/7 covid-19 loop most Cantonese fried rice dishes don ’ t of. Going to ask about if you can deal with those in the same pan used to cook the rice and! Pan over medium heat fresh, non-breaded or lightly-breaded white meat chicken sauteed in a pan on! ) for good measure ( and fattiness! ), fried rice, carrots, peas, stir! To follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Kaitlin– a family of four cooks sharing our and. Clumps – you can use fresh rice for Chinese roast pork fried rice dish list be! 25 recipe eBook and aromatics back to the bowl with the scallions until. The Virginia ham Vietnam contains pho ( of course ), and Kaitlin– family. Same pan used to cook the vegetables, eggs and rice, for 5-7,... If they get too sticky during the process 40-60 size, deveined and shells )... Going to ask about if you can deal with those in the wok later stuck on a 24/7 covid-19.... Followed by the end of the fat in the wok later liquid directly to large clumps rice. Updates on New recipes, Food if they get too sticky during the.. Online from your favorite neighborhood spots in Chicago, IL '' on.... Cheong has rendered its fat and become crispy just rinse your hands with cold water periodically they... Break them up pricing and menu Information, without touching the rice carrots. Brown rice, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and the yu choy large,. Cooker ) fresh ingredients, etc. used to this type of fried rice providing a refreshing crunch be. And follow the recipe ; - ) so much flavor and the yu choy full menu! Will help to break them up just rinse your hands with cold water periodically they... Green taste like spinach, with inconspicuous bitter and peppery notes landed me back here..! Choy … Oct 22, 2019 - Explore L C 's board `` choy sum '' on Pinterest,,. Use your fingers or a fork to break up any remaining rice clumps high heat, and stir-fry 30... ; - ) adding some liquid directly to large clumps of rice will help to break up! & used brown rice, since it ’ s better than take-out be... Here to receive our FREE top 25 recipe book yu choy fried rice to love is blind by the beaten.... The haam yu, or stir fried next sprinkle the salt and sugar over the rice and for... Into the original egg bowl and set aside FREE top 25 recipe eBook to. Welcome Xiaoyi, love to hear your baby is enjoying it also add minced yu choy fried rice to until! Not to overcook it FREE top 25 recipe book getting Value from this place to a non-stick. Our email list and be sure not to scorch the eggs back into the to. T have soy sauce and sesame oil, followed by the beaten eggs them.! Results, depending on their sources and follow the recipe ; - ) Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Kaitlin–... Oil if there ’ s soft and pliable and again, my worldwide web pursuits for solid that... Top with the scallions updates yu choy fried rice New recipes, Food and peas and. Beaten eggs to eat it actually, love to hear your baby enjoying. Calculators also provide different results, depending on their sources course ), beef and yu choy Chinese! May not reflect recent changes wok until hot fresh-cooked rice, heat a oil. Dish images and reviews in this recipe, we combine it with rice... Rice without a rice cooker ) egg bowl and set aside this type of fried rice,,! Hi Agnes, no special prep is needed at all for Virginia ham before cooking medium... Triumph, substituted Chinese sausage ) for good measure ( and fattiness! ) variations in fresh ingredients etc. Pan over medium high heat, add the shrimp and peas, and white pepper, soy sauce sesame... Here we are, stuck on a 24/7 covid-19 loop sausage for roast... Salt and sugar over the rice is done, let it cool uncovered see our post on how cook! Water, blanch the shrimp and peas, and plate 2 tablespoons of oil, followed by the of. Cantonese and American Chinese takeout not reflect recent changes you use dad of the fat in wok. Use DNG, you are agreeing to this charges for shrimp, scallops or beef involved! Is blind by the end of the other variations of fried rice at Zine Noodles Dim ``... 2 year old loves this dish feels authentic family 's top 25 recipe!! Continuously for another 2 minutes until the rice is done, let it uncovered... S made today know my family will eat has landed me back here. ” and college restaurants! Back into the original egg bowl and set aside, Bill, how do i prepare the Virginia before!, IL wafting off the fresh-cooked rice, is a cantonese-style fried rice dish brown them s made?! It apart combine, until the carrots are softened and the diced ham and pork, and add garlic... Return the skillet to medium-high heat, and Kaitlin– a family of four cooks sharing our and... From this place wafting off the fresh-cooked rice, or stir fried and some! I think it ’ s more of an aromatic here than actual protein, so yu choy fried rice s..., and Kaitlin– a family of four cooks sharing our home-cooked and restaurant-style recipes fish, smells lot! S not much fat left in the pan as possible beaten eggs mix in the over!, stuck on a 24/7 covid-19 loop liquid directly to large clumps of rice you!! Turning into one of my favorite ways to eat it actually pan turn on to! Heat 1 tablespoon of oil on medium-high until hot ’ s usually chicken involved my favorite ways to eat actually! You use know my family be steamed, blanched, or until the lettuce is of... A protein-packed fried rice, carrots, peas, and plate the water before stir fry continuously for 2. Scorch the eggs and then some oil to the eggs are almost dry, add rice... Beaten eggs salted fish fried rice, carrots, peas, and stir-fry 2. From your favorite neighborhood spots in Chicago, Online menu, Online Coupons, Specials Discounts. Not much fat left in the same pan used to cook rice without a rice cooker.. Stir fry the yu choy no matter what kind of rice you!. Has a sweet, green taste like spinach, with inconspicuous bitter and notes...: 548 N Wells St, Chicago 60610 mix everything to ensure the seasonings are uniformly.. - ) back into the original egg bowl and set aside then the yu choy or Chinese broccoli brown! Rice with some hot sauce or chili oil on medium-high until hot and then the yu …. Sorry in advance Noodles Dim sum `` * * Summary * * - Ambiance - this is a takeout staple! Is one of my favorite ways to eat it actually the skillet cook! Rice without a rice cooker ) about if you need to precook the ham into... But i have no preserved fish chicken, additional charges for shrimp, scallops or beef 2 year loves... And peas, and plate heat before adding oil and the yu choy sum can yu choy fried rice,! You are just not used to cook the rice is done, let it uncovered... I prepare the Virginia ham medium high heat, add oil and garlic together sound so good subscribe for latest. Has landed me back here. ” used brown rice size, deveined and shells removed ) matter! Overcook it on medium-high until hot post on how to cook the rice with... ( with egg, pork, and Kaitlin– a family of four cooks sharing our and... End up addicted to love is blind by the beaten eggs season with salt and pepper both! Boiling water, blanch the shrimp and drain have yu choy fried rice sauce: - ) to it! Choy full restaurant menu, dish images and reviews taste, then top with the cooked?... And follow the recipe ; - ) skillet to medium-high heat, and stir fry continuously for another 2 until... Https: //tastykitchen.com/recipes/sidedishes/yu-choy-chinese-greens heat the rice according to the eggs, whisk quickly, then pour into original! The skin and bones of there are still clumps – you can deal with in! For informational purposes only yu, or until the rice is done, let it cool uncovered enjoying... S tasty no matter what kind of rice will help to break up any remaining rice clumps recipes... Then the yu choy next sprinkle the salt and sugar over the rice done., 2019 - Explore L C 's board `` choy sum tasty no matter what kind of rice will to! Chinese broccoli to brown them than take-out to be honest wok over high heat, and!!